Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Thursday, 8 July 2010

So I am aware that this is probably two weeks late, but I would like to have a little chat about politics following the appointment of our new PM Ms Julia Gillard.

In the wake of this news, Facebook was bombarded with people’s opinions, ranging from “Girl power!” to “I ain’t havin’ no bitch run my country” to “Woohoo ranga PM!”.

I must admit, I was a party to many of these political discussions.

Throughout the different views of various Australian citizens, I noticed a common view which was held by the majority. Yes, females seemed to generally be happy to have a female PM (although I don’t understand this; isn’t the concept of Female PM=good just as sexist as males having a Female PM=bad opinion? Our view on the PM should be based on the person and their policies, not their sex) and, yes, males were either angry, upset, threatened or indifferent. But despite these differing views we all were disappointed that our Prime Minister was appointed without a public vote.

Now ol Ruddy was arguably doing a dud job, however WE got to choose him. And the arguments from politicians and faction leaders that the public vote for the PARTY, and not the PM, is a load of crap. Almost EVERYONE I know votes based on the party leader, and expects that person to lead the country at least until the next election.

Even more disappointing in my opinion, is that such a significant step in equality in Australia has occurred by default, and not by a shift in the mindset of Australian citizens. We should have VOTED for our first female PM. This would have made it an important milestone for Australian politics. But alas, she has been appointed and we did not have a say.

Ah well, life goes on. And especially nicely for Ruddy, with a nice $600,000.00 per year package for the rest of his life. Not too bad eh?

So now that I have bored you with my politics talk, it’s time to get down to business. The Thursday Funnies! Enjoy the weekend, and enjoy the pics :)

P.S. I have a surprise for you all next week. Should all go to plan, I will be dedicating a whole Thursday Funnies to the one and only Mr Truth aka RR. This man is a genius and I will bring his musings to you so that you may bask in his wisdom. Dayam!

In fact, I am thinking about having a themed Thursday Funnies once per month. Any ideas let me know (although I have a few up my sleeve already…)


















































No comments: